Happy Independence Day USA!!!
The recipe I have for you today is great for picnics, outdoor get together, and, of course, July 4th! Think of a rice crispy only pink with a green “rind,” but wait it gets better! These crispys don’t just look like watermelon they also taste like watermelon too! The watermelon flavor comes form Kool-Aid, which for some reason I love to flavor things with. Let’s get to baking!
First, you need to grease a jelly roll pan.
Next, melt your butter in a large dutch oven.
Once the butter is melted add the mini marshmallows and stir them together.
Melt the mallows.
Once the marshmallows are completely melted remove the pan form the heat and stir in the Watermelon Kool-Aid.
Then add some pink food coloring and stir it in. You want enough so that the crispys will look nice and watermelon like. I think mine could have used a bit more color.
Next, stir in the crisp rice cereal until it is well mixed. Press the crispys into the prepared pan, using greased hands.
Sprinkle some watermelon seed, that is to say mini chocolate chips, onto the top of the crispy. Press them in slightly so that they stick better.
Allow to set a bit. Then, cut the crispys diagonally.
Cut them diagonally in the other direction.
Now, remove the crispys from the pan and place them on a large sheet of parchment paper.
Cut the square crispy in half from one corner to another to form a triangle.
You should have all triangles. Next, you are going to want to shape them just a little bit. Rounding one of the shorter sides.
Repeat with all the triangles.
Furthermore, melt some green candy melts. I used vibrant green and just a regular green.
Once the two chocolates are melted, pour them into the same container.
Stir the two together until just marbled.
Next, take one of your triangles and dip the rounded edge into the melted chocolates. Wiggle the triangle around a bit so that you cover the entire rounded edge and up the front and back just a bit.
Set the triangle back on the parchment paper to dry.
Once they are dry you are all done. Enjoy!
- 5T. butter
- 9c. (16oz) mini marshmallows
- 1 (0.13oz) package Watermelon flavored Kool-Aid
- a few drops pink food coloring
- 9c. crisp rice cereal
- ⅓c. mini chocolate chips
- about 1¼c. assorted green melting wafers
- Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven.
- Stir in the marshmallows until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in Kool-Aid. Then stir in the food coloring, just enough so that it is a good watermelon color.
- Stir in the rice cereal until well coated. Press into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and press in slightly.
- Allow to set.
- Cut the crispys diagonally one way, and then diagonally the other way. Place the pieces on a sheet of parchment paper. Cut the square pieces in half form one corner to another, to form two more triangles.
- Shape the triangles just a bit, using the palm of your hand to gently round one of the shorter sides for the triangle.
- Melt the green melting wafers, and marble them together slightly. Dip the rounded end of the triangles in the melting wafers. Be sure to cover the entire rounded side and slightly up the front and back of the rounded edge, this is the rind. Place the triangle back on the parchment to dry, repeat with remaining triangles.
Original Recipe by: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)