I love Jello. I don’t know why but there is just something about it. Perhaps it’s the fun flavors or the jiggliness. Either way, it’s delicious, especially if you jazz it up a bit with fruit and other things. This Strawberry Banana Jello features strawberry jello made with orange juice in place of cold water, bananas, and a cream cheese layer!
I have to admit that the first batch of this I made didn’t turn out like I had hoped. I put powdered sugar in the cream cheese layer and after it sat for a bit the sugar dissolved and made the jello look really watery… not very attractive. So, I made it again and this time didn’t add the powdered sugar, the result was slightly less sweet but there wasn’t any wateriness. No, extra wateriness is a very good thing. So, there is a lesson for us: don’t add powdered sugar to things that are very moist unless you want it to dissolve and get everything all liquidy looking!
So, you have two options you can either make this jello in individual sizes or in a big bowl, your choice. They look fancier in individual cups though. First, slice a banana and place the slices in your container(s).
Next, combine half of the strawberry Jello with 1c. boiling water. Stir until the Jello is dissolved.
Add 1c. orange juice, stir well.
Pour the Jello into the container(s) over the bananas. Refrigerate until solid about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the cool whip and room temperature cream cheese until no lumps remain.
Once the Jello is solid spread half of the cream cheese mixture over it and refrigerate again.
Now, make the last half of the Jello mixing it with 1c. boiling water and 1c. orange juice. Set aside for now.
Slice another banana. Place the banana slices in the container(s).
Add the remaining Jello.
Refrigerate for an additional 45 minutes or until the Jello has solidified. Spread with the remaining cream cheese mixture.
There you have it Strawberry Banana Jello! This is a great addition to a grilled meal. It can either count as a dessert or if you’re sneaky it could even count as a side dish! That’s another thing I like about Jello it can be a side dish and then you can still have dessert after that!
What do you think: Jello a dessert or a side dish?
- 1 large package Strawberry Jello
- 2c. boiling water
- 2c. cold orange juice
- 2 greenish bananas
- 8oz. non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- 8oz. cream cheese, at room temperature.
- Combine half of the Jello with 1c. boiling water, stir until Jello is dissolved. Stir in 1c. orange juice.
- Slice one banana into a serving bowl or individual bowls. Pour the Jello over the bananas. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until the Jello is set.
- Meanwhile, beat together the cream cheese and whipped topping. Set aside.
- Once set, spread the Jello with half of the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate while you prepare the next layer.
- Combine the remaining half of the Jello with 1c. boiling water until the Jello is dissolved. Stir in 1c. cold orange juice.
- Slice the remaining banana and place the slices in the cream cheese layer. Pour on the remaining Jello.
- Refrigerate for another 45 minutes or until set.
- Spread with the remaining half of the cream cheese mixture.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)