This Starburst ice cream is the first thing I ever tried to make using melted Starbursts, and it is so good. The first time I made this the flavor was not very strong so I decided to add a Starburst ripple using the Starburst Sauce recipe I posted a couple months ago. Which really enhances the Starburst flavor quite nicely. If you like the bright, juicy flavor of Starbursts you are bound to love this ice cream!!
We start with unwrapping 20 squares of starbursts, I used the original flavors 5 of each. You can use whatever flavor or flavor combination you think is good.
Once unwrapped cut the Starbursts into quarters using a sharp pair of kitchen scissors. Set aside.
Next, separate the whites from the yolks of 6 eggs.
Add sugar to the egg yolks and whip them until they are light and fluffy, set aside. Dispose of the egg whites or save them for something else.
In a sauce pan place sugar and heavy cream, stir together.
Heat and stir until the cream starts to boil.
Remove from heat and pour a small amount of the cream into the egg yolks, whisking all the while.
Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the cream, whisking the cream all the while.
Return the mixture to low-medium heat and continue to cook and stir.
Cook until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
Pour the cream mixture over the cut up Starbursts in a large bowl.
Stir until the Starbursts are melted, if they don’t melt completely no big deal.
Refrigerate over night to cool completely.
Make one recipe of Starburst Sauce.
Once cooled, freeze your ice cream in your ice cream maker according to manufactures directions.
Just look how creamy it is!
Layer your ice cream in a freezable container like so: ice cream, Starburst sauce, ice cream, Starburst sauce. Then swirl a few times to make a nice ripple.
- 4oz (about 20) Starbursts (any flavor, or flavor combo)
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓c. sugar
- 2½c. heavy cream
- ⅓c. sugar
- 1 recipe Starburst Sauce
- Unwrap the Starbursts and cut them into quarters, place them in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl whip the egg yolks and ⅓c. sugar until light and fluffy, set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan heat heavy cream and the remaining ⅓c. sugar, bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Once the heavy cream boils pour a small amount of it into the whipped egg yolks, whisking the egg yolks all the while.
- Pour all the egg yolks mixture back into the sauce pan, whisking the cream.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour the cream over the quartered Starbursts. Stir until melted, or if they don't all melt no big deal.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Freeze ice cream in an ice cream maker according to manufacture's direction.
- Layer in a freezable container: half the ice cream, half the Starburst Sauce, the other half of the ice cream, and then the remaining Starburst Sauce. Swirl a couple of time to form a nice ripple.
- Freeze and enjoy.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)