Well hello there,
Nothing says summer quite like s’mores. The crunchy graham cracker, the melty chocolate, the toasted sweetness of the campfire roasted marshmallow – truly delightful. What about S’more Ice Cream that you could eat any time of year? That’s right! A milk chocolatey ice cream chocked full of baked graham cracker pieces and toasted marshmallows.
First, let’s make the milk chocolatey ice cream. In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy, set aside.
Place the milk chocolate chips in a medium bowl, set aside.
In a medium saucepan place half & half and sugar.
Bring to a boil stirring often.
Temper the egg yolks with the boiling half & half by whisking a small amount of the boiling cream into the egg yolks.
Then whisk all of the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the cream.
Return the ice cream to the heat and stir until thickened.
The ice cream should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon and hold it’s shape even after you draw your finger through it.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Pour the mixture in the saucepan over the chocolate chips, stir to melt.
Chill overnight in the refrigerator.
Meanwhile, you can make the toasted marshmallow pieces. Line a large sheet pan with sides with parchment paper and pour on the marshmallows. Be sure that the marshmallows are in a single layer.
Bake the mallows at 400F until they are lightly golden brown, it took mine 10 minutes. Let the marshmallows cool for 10 minutes.
Bake the mallows again at 400F until very golden brown, about another 10 minutes.
Let them cool completely. Then crumble them into pieces. Set aside.
Next, we will bake the graham cracker. I suppose technically you wouldn’t have to do this but I think it add a particularly nice flavor. First, crumble up your graham crackers, I like to put them in a zipper bag and then beat them with the flat side of a meat mallet.
Melt one stick of butter.
Add the graham cracker crumbs and some sugar to the melted butter. Stir them together with a fork.
Place the graham crumbs on a baking pan lined with foil.
Bake at 350F for 10 minutes, cool completely, break into pieces. Set aside.
Once your ice cream is cool, it’s time to freeze it in your ice cream maker. Just freeze it according to your manufacturer’s directions.
Once the ice cream is frozen, place it in a freezable container.
Add the marshmallows and graham crumbs.
Stir everything together well. Freeze until ready to eat.
This ice cream is very good. Delightful s’mores any time of year. It may seem like a lot of steps, but it really isn’t hard to make and it tastes fantastic! If you like s’mores then you’re very likely going to love this ice cream!
What is your favorite way to enjoy the flavors of S’more?
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓c. sugar
- ½c. milk chocolate chips
- 2½c. half & half
- ⅓c. sugar
- 1t. pure vanilla extract
- 10 oz miniature marshmallows
- 1 sleeve graham crackers, reduced to crumbs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1T. sugar
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks with ⅓c. sugar, until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan bring to a boil half & half and ⅓c. sugar.
- Whisk about ½c. of the boiling cream into the egg yolk mixture. Whisk all of the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the cream.
- Return to heat. Stir and cook until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over the chocolate chips. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted. Chill.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place the marshmallows in a single layer on the lined sheet pan.
- Bake at 400F until lightly golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 400F until very golden brown, about another 10 minutes. Cool completely, then crumble into pieces. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 1T. sugar. Spread the grahams onto the foil lined pan.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Cool completely. Break into pieces. Set aside.
- Freeze the ice cream according to the manufacturer's direction in your ice cream maker.
- Place the frozen ice cream in a freezable container and stir in the baked graham pieces and the toasted marshmallow crumbles. Freeze until ready to serve.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)