Today’s recipe is basically a Nanner and Niller pudding only with peaches and raspberries instead of banana! It is a wonderful use of fresh peaches and raspberries. This pudding is topped with meringue so it goes into the oven for a bit. It is so good when you serve it warm too! It is okay cooled but it is the best right out of the oven.
First, place flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and salt in a medium sauce pan.
Next, separate your eggs, yolks form whites. Set the whites aside for now.
Beat the egg yolks a bit.
Pour milk and egg yolks into the sauce pan with the sugar, flour, and salt.
Now, heat the mixture in the sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes smooth and thick. This can take a bit of time so, just know that. It took mine about 30 minutes.
Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Set the pudding aside for now.
Let’s prepare the fruit. Peel, pit, and cut up two peaches. Ready one cup of raspberries.
Add some flour to the fruit and stir. This just makes it so the fruit doesn’t get quite so runny.
Now, place a layer of Nilla wafers into bottom of your oven proof bowl. Then add about one third of the fruit, then about one third of the pudding. Repeat twice.
Next, we make the meringue. Whip the egg whites until they become frothy. Then gradually add the sugar.
Continue to whip until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold in vanilla.
Spoon the meringue onto the pudding.
Spread the meringue so that the pudding is sealed in.
Bake at 425F for 10-12 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
For best results enjoy while the pudding is still warm.
- 3T. flour
- ⅔c. sugar
- smidgen of salt
- 1½c. milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2t. pure vanilla extract, divided
- about ½ a box of Nilla Wafers
- 2 peaches, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1c. fresh raspberries
- 1T. flour
- 3T. sugar
- In a sauce pan combine 3T flour, ⅔c. sugar, and salt. Add the milk.
- Beat the egg yolk, stir them into the mixture in the sauce pan.
- Heat sauce pan over medium heat until mixture thickens, stir constantly.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in 1t. vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Stir the peaches, raspberries, and 1T flour together in a bowl.
- In a 1.5 qt baking dish layer Nilla wafers, ⅓ fruit, ⅓ pudding. Repeat twice.
- In a medium bowl whip the egg whites until they become frothy. Add the 3T sugar and continue to whip until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue over the pudding sealing it in.
- Bake at 425F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)