The other day I was sitting in the break room, where I work, and I looked over at the vending machine and thought “why aren’t there any candy bars that contain brownie?” After that thought, I determined that there should be a brownie with nougat on it! That is the inspiration for this recipe. Fudgy chocolate brownies, topped with light and fluffy chocolate nougat, and then topped with a another layer of chocolate! Pretty chocolaty all in all. I haven’t tried it, but I think this recipe would also be super delicious with Starburst Nougat on it too!
To make this recipe we start with making the brownie. So, start by greasing a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
Next, melt butter and milk chocolate together in a saucepan.
Once melted, remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar and white sugar.
Whisk in four eggs and vanilla.
Lastly, whisk in the flour and salt.
Pour the brownie batter into the greased pan.
Bake at 325F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the edge comes out clean. Cool.
Next, you get to make the nougat. First, place sugar, brown sugar, light corn syrup, and water in a sauce pan.
Bring the mixture to a boil with the lid on the pan. Keep a close eye on the pan because this mixture will very happily boil over!
Once the mixture is boiling take the lid off and insert a candy thermometer. You will be cooking the mixture to 238F.
While you wait for the mixture to reach temperature, combine the meringue powder and water in the bowl of an electric mixer.
Stir together. Start to whip the meringue powder and water together when the sugar mixture in the saucepan has almost reached 238F.
You can see a difference in the bubbles of the sugar mixture, when it gets closer to 238F there will be more, smaller bubbles, before it gets close the bubbles are much larger. Larger bubbles:
Smaller bubbles closer to 238F.
Once the temperature is reached, very slowly and carefully, pour the sugar mixture into the whipping meringue mixture. Continue to whip until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Next, gently fold in some melted chocolate and vanilla.
Spoon the nougat onto the cooled or cooling brownie.
Butter your hands and use them to press/spread the nougat evenly over the brownie. Be careful, because the nougat may still be a bit hot!!! If you want you can just wait until the nougat has cooled completely before you try to press it onto the brownie.
Press the nougat on as evenly as possible.
Once the nougat is on press plastic wrap onto the surface on the nougat to keep it from drying out while it cools.
Once the nougat is cool melt some chocolate chips.
Spread the melted chocolate over the nougat. Spread it so that is made little ridges.
Then drag your knife or icing spatula through the ridges in a perpendicular manner, in one direction, about 2 inches apart.
Then drag your icing spatula though the ridges perpendicularly again only in to other direction, in between the previous marks.
This makes a nice design, to make you brownies look extra fabulous!
Allow the chocolate to set before you cut the brownies. Store the cut brownies in an air-tight container.
- For the brownie:
- 2c. milk chocolate chips
- 1 stick of butter
- ¾c. brown sugar
- ¾c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2t. pure vanilla extract
- 1c. flour
- ½t. salt
- For the Nougat:
- 1c. sugar
- 1c. brown sugar
- 1c. light corn syrup
- 1c. water
- ¼c. meringue powder
- 3T. water
- 4T. semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 1t. pure vanilla extract
- 1½c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- For the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a sauce pan melt together butter and milk chocolate chips.
- Remove from heat and whisk in ¾c. each of sugar and brown sugar.
- Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Then whisk in the flour and salt.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 325F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted about 2 inches from the edge comes out clean. Cool.
- For the Nougat:
- In a sauce pan stir together, 1 cup each brown sugar and white sugar, light corn syrup, and water. Heat with lid on until boiling.
- Once boiling remove lid and insert candy thermometer. Heat to 238F.
- While you wait for the sugar mixture to reach temperature, stir the meringue powder and 3 tablespoons of water together. Whip this mixture once the sugar mixture has almost reached 328F.
- Once the sugar mixture reaches 328F remove it form the heat and carefully and slowly pour it into the whipping meringue mixture. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the melted chocolate and the vanilla.
- Spread/press the nougat evenly over the brownies, using buttered hands. Cover the surface of the nougat with cling wrap and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled spread the 1½ cups of melted chocolate over the top.
- Cut once the chocolate has set, store in an air tight container.
Brownie Recipe from: Cookies and Cups
Combined with Nougat by: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)