These Lemon Blueberry Sticky Buns I’m going to share with you today are my mom’s absolute favorite sticky bun that I have made so far. Seriously, she LOVES them! The sticky bun dough is made with a lemon cake mix with a bit of added lemon zest. The sticky party is fresh blueberries with butter, brown sugar, and a few other ingredients. You can’t go wrong with the combination of blueberry and lemon.
So the first batch of these that I made turned out pretty well. The dough part was fine but the sticky part wasn’t quite right. The original recipe for the sticky part was just brown sugar, butter, and chopped up blueberries. It tasted great but instead of being sticky, it was more of a runny, juicy mess on everything! Just look at all that liquid! It did have excellent blueberry flavor.
To help combat the problem I added corn syrup and tossed the blueberries with flour. The sticky part turned out way better after that. It is still a bit juicy (read: be super careful dumping it out of the pan) but it is more sticky instead of just juicy. The flavor is still good without tasting the flour, so that’s good too.
Let’s get started. In a large bowl place the: lemon cake mix, yeast, warm water, salt, vanilla, bread flour, and lemon zest.
Stir together to combine. I like to use my hands to mix it. Just mix it until it is thoroughly combined.
Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with waxed paper. Allow the dough to rise for half an hour. Then punch the dough down and allow it to rise for an additional half hour.
Meanwhile, we can make the sticky part. In a well greased 9-inch cake pan place the corn syrup, melted butter, and brown sugar. Mix well.
Now for the blueberry part.
Crush the blueberries and then mix them with the flour.
Spread the crushed blueberries on top of the brown sugar mixture in the pan. Set aside.
Once the dough has risen roll it out on a well-floured surface. The size doesn’t matter too much. Just try and get a roughly rectangular shape that is fairly thin. The thinner the dough to more filling it will have and the more rolled up it will be.
Brush the dough rectangle with melted butter.
Sprinkle the dough with sugar and lemon zest.
Roll the dough up jelly-roll style.
Cut off the ends (you can bake or discard these) and cut the dough into 2-inch slices.
Place the slices over the blueberries in the 9-inch pan.
You may want to place the pan on another sheet pan or something just in case your blueberries are extra juicy and try to boil over in the oven. Bake the Lemon Blueberry Sticky Buns at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until well browned.
Once baked place your serving plate on top of the pan.
Very, very carefully flip the entire thing over so that the pan is on top of the serving plate. Be sure to wear your most covering oven mitts for this task. If the blueberries are particularly juicy that juice might try and get you when you flip the pan, and the juice will be very HOT! So, be cautious, please.
Remove the pan and voila! Lovely Lemon Blueberry Sticky Buns!
Now just allow the Lemon Blueberry Sticky Buns to cool a bit before eating them! They taste great warm or cold. I know that you are going to love the taste of these sticky buns. They are so bright and full of flavor. Be sure to share them with the people you love!
What is your favorite kind of sticky bun?
- For the Lemon Dough:
- 1c. lemon cake mix
- 2¾t. yeast
- 1¼c. warm water
- ½t. salt
- ½t. pure vanilla extract
- 2½c. bread flour
- zest of one lemon
- ½c. butter, melted
- 1c. sugar
- zest of two lemons
- For the Blueberry Sticky:
- 5T. corn syrup
- 5T. melted butter
- 5T. brown sugar, packed
- 2c. crushed fresh blueberries
- ⅓c. flour
- In a large bowl combine the lemon cake mix, yeast, water, salt, vanilla, bread flour, and zest of one lemon. Mix together until well combined.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, covered with waxed paper, and allow it to rise in a warm place for ½ hour. Punch the dough down and allow it to rise for an additional ½ hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F and make the Blueberry Sticky. In a greased 9-inch cake pan combine the corn syrup, 5T. melted butter, and brown sugar until well mixed.
- Combine the blueberries with the flour and spread them over the brown sugar mixture in the pan. Set aside.
- Once the dough has risen roll it out into a large rectangle on a well-floured surface.
- Brush the dough with ½c. melted butter, then sprinkle it with the sugar and zest of two lemons.
- Roll the dough up jelly-roll style, cut off the ends. Cut the resulting dough log into 2-inch slices.
- Place the dough slices on the Blueberry Sticky in the pan.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until well browned.
- Place a serving plate on top of the pan and very, very carefully flip the pan and plate so that the pan is on top of the plate. Remove the pan. Cool before serving.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)
If you like this recipe you might also be interested in my Awesome Breakfast Recipes for Extra Special Occasions eBook. It’s full of all sorts of delicious breakfast recipes including Peach Sticky Buns, Raspberry Lime Sticky Buns, Breakfast in a Cupcake, and much more!