I love angel food cake, it is so light and fluffy. Angel food cake is almost like eating a cloud! It is so good with ice cream or some kind of sauce, or you can use it in trifles and things. Angel food cake is so versatile. The recipe I’m sharing with you today takes angel food cake to a whole new level! The recipe is for Key Lime Angel Food Cake! Trust me, my friends, you are in for a real treat! This cake is not only light and fluffy but also full of the bright citrus flavor of key lime.
We will star the recipe by preparing the key limes. First, we will zest all 6 of them!
Next, we need to juice the limes. You might want to strain the juice too. You only need 1/4c. of the juice for the recipe, so you can add the rest to your water and drink it or something.
In the bowl of your electric mixer place 14 egg whites.
Whip the egg whites until they become light and foamy.
Whip in cream of tartar, salt, and sugar.
Continue to whip to stiff peaks.
So pretty and white!
Place the meringue in a larger bowl and add vanilla, sugar, cake flour, the key lime zest and 1/4c. key lime juice.
Fold together until well combined.
Spoon the batter into an angel food cake pan. Spread evenly.
Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into it comes out clean. Do not open the oven for the first 40 minutes of baking, or it might cause the cake to fall.
Cool the cake upside down for 10 minutes.
Run a long icing spatula around the outer edge of the cake to help release it from the outer edge. You will not need to worry about releasing the cake form the middle cone. Remove the outer part of the pan.
Turn the cake upside down onto your serving plate. Use your icing spatula to release the cake form the bottom of the pan. Cool completely.
I’m sure you are going to love this light, and bright dessert. It is fun and easy to make! Also, people will be super impressed with your angel food cake baking skills. People don’t make angel food cake very often (I have no idea why) so when someone does everyone is super impressed and excited. Enjoy!
- 14 egg whites
- 1t. cream of tartar
- ¼t. salt
- 1c. sugar
- 1t. pure vanilla extract
- 1c. sugar
- 1½c. cake flour
- the zest of 6 key limes
- ¼c. fresh key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer whip egg whites until they are light and foamy.
- Whip in the cream of tartar, salt, and 1 cup sugar. Whip to stiff peaks.
- Place the meringue in a larger bowl and fold in the vanilla, 1c. sugar, cake flour, key lime zest and juice.
- Spoon the batter into an angel food cake pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake upside down for 10 minutes. Then loosen the cake form the outer edge of the pan with a long icing spatula, remove the outer pan.
- Invert the cake onto the serving plate, use the icing spatula to loosen the cake form the bottom of the pan. Remove the bottom of the pan.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)