Have you ever had Gooey Butter Cake? I absolutely LOVE that stuff! I don’t get to have it that often, but when I do, yum! These Gooey Butter Cookies Cups are basically the same as a Gooey Butter Cake only they are baked in a mini muffin tin. This makes them quite a bit easier to eat and slightly less intense. They are super good though and you can still serve them sprinkled with powdered sugar. If you don’t know what Gooey Butter Cake is, it has a yellow cake mix base and then a super sweet cream cheese filling. In other words, if you haven’t had Gooey Butter Cake you need to try it, like now!
First, we are going to start with the yellow cake base. In a bowl, stir together yellow cake mix, egg, and melted butter.
Stir until well combined.
Form the dough into about 1.25-1.5-inch balls. Place each ball into the wells of a mini muffin tin.
Press the dough onto the sides and into the bottom of the muffin wells. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, place powdered sugar, soft cream cheese, and eggs.
Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the dough cups.
Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
It works best to remove the cookies from the pan with a thin icing spatula, to cool completely on a wire rack.
These Gooey Butter Cookie Cups are super good, I’m sure you are going to enjoy them! I know I do. They are great as a dessert, potluck item, or a midday pick me up.
Oh, if you happen to have leftover of the cream cheese filling you can do what I did and make a super tasty dip! Just grease a small oven-safe container. Then cover the bottom of the container with baking chips, cover that with the extra cream cheese mixture. Bake it at 350F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and enjoy. It’s great with graham crackers, fresh fruit, or just eaten with a spoon.
Have you had Gooey Butter Cake before? What kind did you have?
- For the Cookie:
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 4c. powdered sugar
- 8oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl stir together yellow cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg.
- Form the dough into 1¼-1½-inch balls. Place the balls into the wells of a mini muffin tin.
- Press the dough up the sides and into the bottom of the wells. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, and 2 eggs.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling into the dough cups.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool slightly before removing from pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar to decorate if desired.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)