Happy Veteran’s Day!
If you are veteran I just wanna say thank you for serving our country and keeping us all safe. Let’s be honest though you came here for the Extra Crumble Apple Pie recipe. What is the best kind of apple pie? Crumble top apple pie! What is the best part of crumble top apple pie? The crumble, of course! So, if some crumble is good then double is better, right? YES!!!!! It totally is! In the Extra Crumble Apple Pie you use about half the amount of apples as a regular apple pie and double the amount of crumble topping! It is so good! Perfect for Thanksgiving or Veteran’s Day or any day for that matter!
First, you are going to need a 9-inch pie crust. You can either use a purchased pie crust or make your own pie crust.
Next, we will deal with the apples. You will need to peel, core, and thinly slice them.
Place the sliced apples in a large bowl along with flour, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a dash of salt.
Stir this mixture together well and then place it in the prepared pie crust.
Now the crumble! In a large bowl place the flour, brown sugar, and butter. I like to cut my butter up into pieces so that it won’t take so long to cut them in.
Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
Pour the crumble over the apples in the pie crust.
See how tall it is?! And you know everything above the crust is crumble topping! It’s like mile high crumble! Well, perhaps not literally.
Cover the pie with foil and bake it at 425F for 30-minutes.
Then remove the foil and bake pie for an additional 18-minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown.
It seems to work best to let the pie cool before you cut it. You can store any leftover pie covered and at room temperature. Then warm up individual portions and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If your favorite part of apple pie is the crumble then this is the perfect pie for you!
Is the crumble your favorite part of apple pie?
- 9-inch pie crust purchased or homemade
- 4c. peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples
- ½c. brown sugar, packed
- 5T. flour
- ½t. ground nutmeg
- ½t. ground cinnamon
- dash salt
- 2c. flour
- 1½c. brown sugar, packed
- 2 sticks of butter
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl combine the sliced apples, ½c. brown sugar, 5T. flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour the apple mixture into the prepared pie crust. Set aside.
- In a large bowl place 2c. flour, 1½c. brown sugar, and the butter. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Pour the crumble topping over the apples in the pie crust. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 425F for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 18 minutes or until golden brown.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)