This post may contain affiliate links.
Remember when I said that the homemade oreo filling I made back in September was gonna be something I used a lot? Well, this is the third recipe I’ve used it in. First was the Maple Creams then the Mini Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies and now these delightful, little Dream Wheels! I also have plans to use it again in February (Spoiler Alert!). Anyway, these Dream Wheels are very easy to make and they taste fantastic, melt on your tongue fantastic! They are basically just the homemade oreo filling rolled out, spread with peanut butter, and then rolled into a pinwheel. So cute and so good.
First, in the bowl of your electric mixer place shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla, and butter flavoring.
Combine well. It will take a bit for it all to come together but don’t worry it will just give it a few minutes.
Place a piece of parchment paper on your counter and cover it well with powdered sugar. Form the oreo filling into a ball and place it on the well-sugared parchment.
Place more powdered sugar on the ball of filling and roll your rolling pin in powdered sugar as well.
Roll the homemade oreo filling into a large rectangle.
Use a pizza cutter to even up the edges. You can eat the bits you cut off, discard them, or just make more Dream Wheels with it, whatever you want to do.
Spread the peanut butter over the filling.
Brush the excess powdered sugar off your parchment paper. Use the parchment paper to help you roll the Dream Wheels up.
Wrap the Dream Wheels in the parchment and place in the freezer for 15 or so minutes. Use a bench scraper to cut the Dream Wheels into about 3/4-1 inch pieces.
Store in the refrigerator and enjoy!
- 1c. vegetable shortening
- 2t. pure vanilla extract
- 2t. butter flavoring
- 4c. powdered sugar
- ⅓c. creamy peanut butter
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine shortening, vanilla, butter flavoring, and powdered sugar.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on your counter and cover it well with powdered sugar.
- Shape the homemade oreo filling into a ball and place it on the sugared parchment paper. Sprinkle the top with more powdered sugar and coat the rolling pin in powdered sugar as well.
- Roll into a large rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to even up the edges.
- Carefully, spread on the peanut butter.
- Brush away excess powdered sugar from the parchment paper. Use the parchment to help with rolling up the Dream Wheels.
- Cover well and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cut into ¾-1 inch pieces.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)
Special thanks to Sue Webster for coming up with the name Dream Wheels!