How much do you like strawberry ice cream? I like it pretty well, but it seems like when we buy it at the store it eventually gets thrown out. So, I thought “I can certainly make it better than this.” The first time I tried to make strawberry ice cream it was more icy than creamy and I wasn’t very impressed with it. Oh! but this ice cream it is very creamy and has plenty of fresh strawberry flavor! This Creamy Strawberry Ice Cream defiantly will not get thrown out! If you like strawberry ice cream or just want to taste homemade strawberry ice cream then this is a great recipe to try.
Let’s start by preparing the strawberries. It is very important that you test your strawberries to make sure that they have good flavor before you use them in ice cream. If they don’t taste all that good your ice cream won’t either. So, just cut off the leaves of the strawberries.
Puree two-thirds of the berries in a blender.
Chop the other third into small pieces. Set the berries aside.
In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Set aside.
In a saucepan bring heavy cream and sugar to a boil.
Whisk some of the heavy cream into the egg yolks.
Whisk all of the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the cream.
Return to heat and stir until thickened. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon and hold its place after you have drawn your finger through it.
Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla, chopped strawberries, and strawberry puree. Stirring in the strawberry while the ice cream base is still hot helps to bring the flavors together.
Chill. Freeze in you ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Freeze until ready to eat! I think that you are going to really enjoy this Creamy Strawberry Ice Cream. Be sure to use fresh, very tasty strawberries. The better your strawberries taste, the better this ice cream will be.
- 1lb fresh, delicious strawberries, leaves and stem removed
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓c. sugar
- 2½c. heavy cream
- ⅓c. sugar
- 1t. pure vanilla extract
- Puree ⅔s of the berries in a blender. Chop the last ⅓ into small pieces. Set berries aside.
- In a small bowl whip together the egg yolks and ⅓c. sugar until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a saucepan bring the heavy cream and ⅓c. sugar to a boil, stirring often.
- Whisk a small amount of the boiling cream into the egg yolk mixture. Whisk all of the egg yolk mixture back into the cream.
- Return to heat and cook until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, pureed strawberries, and chopped strawberries until well combined.
- Chill. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Freeze until ready to serve.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)