These Cranberry Orange Scones are so good! They are seriously very good scones, moist, flavorful. So, good. They also have “secret” ingredient, cornmeal! I know it sounds weird but it adds a lovely texture and just a tiny bit of flavor, it also does something wonderful for the color of the scones too. Mostly the flavor is orange and cranberry, with a bit of white chocolate. These scones are also drizzled with a super nice orange glaze that helps to lock in the moisture and adds a slight crunch to the top.
In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and freshly grated orange zest.
Add cold butter, cut into pieces.
Cut the butter in until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
Fill a 1/3 cup measuring cup with fresh or frozen cranberries, then pour on some orange juice just enough to fill the cup up the rest of the way.
Add the cranberry orange juice, buttermilk, vanilla, and white chocolate chips to the crumb mixture. Stir until well combined, you might have to use your hands.
Press the scone dough out into a 7-inch circle on an ungreased baking sheet.
Sprinkle generously with coarse sugar.
Cut the scone dough into 8 wedges.
Bake at 425F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
Now, you get to make the glaze. In a small bowl combine fresh orange juice, powdered sugar, and fresh orange zest.
Drizzle the glaze over the baked scones.
You can store these scones at room temperature in an airtight container or freeze them for longer storage. These scones are great for fall and winter breakfasts or brunches. Cranberry Orange Scones are full of bright flavor. You are going to love this recipe. Plus, it is very easy to make and doesn’t require any weird ingredients.
What is your favorite cranberry orange recipe?
- 1⅓c. flour
- ⅓c. cornmeal
- ¼c. brown sugar, packed
- 1¼t. baking powder
- ¼t. baking soda
- ¼t. salt
- ½t. freshly grated orange zest
- ⅓c. butter, cold and cut into chunks
- ⅓c. fresh or frozen cranberries, with enough orange juice in the cup to fill it up
- ½t. pure vanilla extract
- ½c. buttermilk
- ½c. white chocolate chips
- coarse sugar for the top
- 3T. fresh orange juice
- 1¼c. powdered sugar
- ¼t. fresh orange zest
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ½t. orange zest.
- Cut in the cold butter chunks.
- Stir in the cranberries with orange juice, vanilla, buttermilk, and white chocolate.
- Press the dough into a 7-inch circle on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle generously with coarse sugar. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake at 425F for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl combine the fresh orange juice, powdered sugar, and ¼t. orange zest. Drizzle over the scones.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)