Today I thought that I would share a sweet breakfast treat with you. It is perfect for Valentine’s day, or really any special day! It is a Chocolate Raspberry Roll! Basically, it is a cinnamon roll type dough spread with raspberry jelly and sprinkled with chocolate chips, then rolled up scroll style to make it a heart shape and then topped with a raspberry glaze. They are really very wonderful.
For the dough you mix up all the ingredients in a really big bowl, actually I have to use a stock pot. Next, you turn your dough onto a floured surface and knead it for a while.
Next you get to roll the dough out.
After you roll the dough out, spread the jelly.
Sprinkle on the chocolate chips!
Now just roll the dough up scroll style from each end and cut it with a sharp knife or, my favorite, bench scraper.
Doesn’t it look cool?
After that just place them on your greased pan and shape them a bit to finish the heart shape.
Let them rise a bit and bake them!
Now just glaze and enjoy!!!
These rolls are best warm, you can warm them in the microwave for about 15 seconds on high. I would recommend glazing them after they are warmed. Enjoy!!
- 3 c. water
- 4 packages instant dry yeast
- 7½ c. bread flour
- 3¾ c. cake flour
- 1c. non-fat dry milk powder
- 2½ t. salt
- 1c. sugar
- 2 sticks of butter, cut into chuncks
- 5 eggs
- 2c. seedless raspberry jelly (I like Dillman Farm)
- 2c. mini chocolate chips
- 2c. frozen raspberries thawed and mashed
- 4c. powdered sugar
- ¼t. vanilla extract
- ¼t. butter flavoring
- Place all ingredients in a very large bowl and mix to combine. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10-12 minutes (be warned this is a great upper body workout you can really feel it in your triceps). Place the dough in a covered, oiled bowl to rise for an hour and a half.
- Punch the dough down and roll the dough into a 24x32 inch rectangle, or divide dough into smaller portions if you don't have that much space. Spread the dough with raspberry jelly and sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough up scroll style, rolling the two longer ends toward each other. Cut dough using a sharp knife or bench scraper into 1½ inch pieces, discarding the mostly dough ends. Place the rolls on greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and shape into hearts, pinching the bottom bit so it is pointier. Cover the rolls waxed paper or parchment paper, allow to rise an additional 45 minutes.
- Bake the rolls at 350F for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the rolls are in the oven make the glaze: Mix all glaze ingredients together well. Apply to warm rolls or wait and apply the glaze to the rolls right before you serve them. You can drizzle them with glaze or dip the tops in glaze whichever you prefer, I think a combination of the two on a plate looks quite nice.
- These rolls are best warm, you can warm them in the microwave for about 15 seconds on high. I would recommend glazing them after they are warmed. Enjoy!!
Original recipe by: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. EpicSweet.com)