This Butterfinger frosting is amazing!!! If you like Butterfingers you are going to love this! The frosting is rich and creamy with crushed Butterfingers right in it. So, you have to creaminess of the frosting and then, wham, you hit a crispy chunk of Butterfinger! Really quite a delightful experience. It works great for anything you want to use it for: frosting cakes, cupcakes, filling in sandwich cookies, even just by the spoonful!
We start buy placing ten whole Butterfingers in a gallon size freezer bag.
Then beat them up with the flat side of a meat mallet until they are pretty fine. How fine is really up to you. The finer you crush them the easier it is to pipe. If you leave it a bit chunkier, however, then you get a better “Whoa there are actually Butterfingers in here.” Of course, if you leave it chunkier then you can only rough ice a cake, you really can’t make it smooth. So, crush it as fine as you need for your purpose.
Now, in a bowl of an electric mixer place six cups of powdered sugar.
To this add vanilla extract, almond extract, butter flavor, and salt.
Add one cup of boiling water, and whip until cooled, it can be slightly warm but very close to room temperature.
Next, whip in some vegetable shortening.
Whip in cold cubed butter.
Continue to whip on medium-high for about 10-20 minutes or until the frosting has doubled in volume.
Stir in your crushed Butterfingers.
- 10 regular Butterfingers
- 6c. powdered sugar
- ½t. salt
- 2t. pure vanilla extract
- 1t. almond extract
- 1t. butter flavor
- 1c. boiling water
- 2¾c. vegetable shortening
- 1½ sticks butter, cold, and cut into chunks
- In a large freezer ziploc bag place the unwrapped Butterfingers. Beat with the flat side of a meat mallet until they reach the desired consistence. The finer the chunks the easier to pipe with, bigger chunks look better with a rough ice verses a smooth. So, whatever fits your purpose for it best. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer place powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and almond extracts, and butter flavoring. Stir together.
- Add boiling water and whisk until cooled, it should be about room temperature.
- Whisk in the vegetable shortening. Whisk in the butter chunks.
- Continue to whisk at medium-high speed until doubled in volume about 10-20 minutes
- Stir in the crushed Butterfingers.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)