This Brown Sugar Spice Angel Food cake is an excellent fall variation on regular angel food cake. It is full of cinnamon and nutmeg with the added richness of brown sugar. It’s a perfect end to any fall meal. It would be absolutely splendid for a Thanksgiving dessert too, especially since it is so light. This month I am mostly going to focus on Thanksgiving desserts, so anticipate lots of pie (well three anyway). Let’s get to making this Brown Sugar Spice Angel Food Cake!
Whip until the egg whites are foamy and light, then add the cream of tartar, salt, and brown sugar gradually.
Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
Place this brown sugar meringue into a very large bowl and add: vanilla, brown sugar, cake flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Fold until well combined.
Spoon the batter into your angel food cake pan. Smooth to top a bit.
Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. Do not open the oven for at least the first 30 minutes of baking, otherwise, your cake may fall. Cool, the cake in the pan upside down for 10 minutes. Then run a long icing spatula around the outside edge of the cake so that you can remove it from the pan.
Invert the cake onto your serving plate and remove the outside of the pan. Use an icing spatula to loosen the cake from the bottom of the pan.
Cool, and enjoy! You can keep this cake in an airtight container at room temperature. This Brown Sugar Spice Angel Food Cake is great served plain or with ice cream or with sauteed apples or with both! You are sure to love this angle food cake, so light and full of fall flavors.
What angel food cake variation would you like to see?
- 14 egg whites
- 1t. cream of tartar
- ¼t. salt
- 1c. brown sugar, packed
- 1t. pure vanilla extract
- 1c. brown sugar, packed
- 1½c. cake flour
- 1t. ground cinnamon
- ½t. ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer whip the egg whites until foamy and light.
- Gradually add the cream of tartar, salt, and the first cup of brown sugar.
- Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Place the brown sugar meringue in a very large bowl and fold in the remaining ingredients until well incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased angel food cake pan. Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Cool, the cake upside down for 10 minutes. Then use a long icing spatula to loosen the cake from the outside edge of the pan. Place the cake upside down on the serving plate and remove the outside of the pan. Loosen the cake from the bottom of the pan so that the cake fall onto the serving plate. Remove the bottom of the pan.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)