I am a sugar lover, but I have to admit, brown sugar is my absolute favorite sugar! The texture, the color, the flavor, the way it sticks to your hand when you pack it down to measure it… It is lovely stuff. Because of this brown sugar love, I decide to make this Brown Sugar Meringue Pie. If you are a brown sugar lover too, then this is definitely a pie you are going to enjoy. Not only is the filling brown sugar but so is the meringue! Join me fellow brown sugar lovers in enjoyment of this pie!
First, we are going to need a baked pie crust. To do this start with your pie crust in the pan and ready to go. You can use a homemade or a purchased crust.
Line the crust with parchment paper or if you happen to have one handy a jumbo coffee filter works excellent for this!
Fill the parchment or coffee filter with pie weights (a.k.a. dry beans). The beans will help keep the crust from getting bubbles in the bottom and on the sides.
Bake the pie crust at 350F for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Next, we will make the delicious brown sugar filling, which could be a dessert on its own! In a saucepan combine cornstarch, brown sugar, and salt.
Whisk in milk.
Bring the mixture to a boil stirring often. Continue to boil until well thickened, stirring constantly.
Carefully whisk a small amount of the thickened mixture into the egg yolks.
Whisk the egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Return to heat stirring constantly until thickened.
Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
Pour the brown sugar filling into the baked pie crust.
Next, the meringue. In a medium bowl place egg whites, cream of tartar, cornstarch, and brown sugar.
Whip until stiff, glossy peaks form.
Spoon the meringue onto the pie.
Spread the meringue out over the pie so that all the filling is covered.
Bake the pie at 350F for 10-15 minutes or until the meringue is a lovely golden brown. You can brown the meringue with a kitchen torch if you prefer.
Let the pie cool and you’re done! This pie is great served warm or cold. Brown Sugar Meringue Pie is perfect for any time of year! Also, meringue pies are always impressive so be sure and make this pie for company or fellow brown sugar enthusiasts. It’s best to store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
What is you favorite brown sugar recipe? I want to know, tell me in the comments.
- 9-inch baked pie crust
- 5T. cornstarch
- ¾c. brown sugar, packed
- ⅛t. salt
- 2c. milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3T. butter
- 1t. pure vanilla extract
- ¼t. cream of tartar
- 1t. cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 2T. brown sugar, packed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a saucepan whisk together 5T. cornstarch, ¾c. brown sugar, and salt. Stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil stirring often, until thickened.
- Carefully whisk about ½c. of the boiling milk into the egg yolks. Whisk the egg yolks into the saucepan with the boiling milk.
- Stir constantly until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Pour the filling into the baked pie crust. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whip together the cream of tartar, 1t. cornstarch, egg whites, and 2T. brown sugar. Whip to stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spread the meringue over the pie so that the filling is completely covered.
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is nicely golden brown. Cool and serve.
Original Recipe By: Rilla Banks (A.K.A. Epic Sweet)